Hello, I'm Sera Hwang. A decade ago, I thought I was all set: After graduating from MIT and then law school, I started my dream job as a corporate litigator in NYC. I felt invincible; I had just completed a marathon, passed the NY and NJ bar examinations, and moved cross-country all fairly stress-free.
One month in, however, I had a rude awakening. I lost the ability to use my hands.
Searing pain shot up and down my hands and arms almost constantly, and I could barely do basic things, such as open doors. I had a severe case of bi-lateral carpal tunnel.
I was over $150 thousand in student loan debt and feared that due to the inability to use my hands, I would not be able to find a job. As much pain as I felt in my hands, my mind delving into a deeper hole of fear, anxiety, and depression.
Finding no solution in Western medicine, out of pure desperation, I opened myself up to new experiences and treatments in alternative medicine and mind-body work.
I, initially a skeptic, began receiving treatments in acupuncture, occupational therapy, and chiropractic services. Though all helped a bit, what really catapulted my healing was exploring the mind-body connection.
Under the guidance of my acupuncturist, William Kaplanidis (who shared not only his acupuncture skills with me but also his insights into the mind-body connection), I examined how deep-seated emotional issues affected my physical body, such as causing me to tense up my upper shoulders.
I also learned valuable tools on how to reduce the effects of anxiety and stress, which I used while navigating a high-demanding job and still healing from the carpal tunnel. My hands were getting better but they still often throbbed and flare ups were not unusual. For the first couple of years, I used voice recognition software to draft legal memos, often working 15-hour days, 6-7 days a week.
Through these ups and downs, I underwent a deep transformation; to analogize to the Matrix movie, I had swallowed the red pill and began seeing how deep the rabbit hole goes. I became more in-tuned with myself and continued to face and address my fears, anxieties, and disappointments.
Though the transition was hard at times, I feel liberated. Now I see the world through different lens. With an opened mind and heart, I transformed from feeling helpless to taking ownership of my mental and physical well-being.
Carpal tunnel - what initially I thought of as a curse - actually was a blessing to me.
I let go of preconceived notions that held me back and began exploring and developing unconventional solutions and fresh interpretations of issues in my life. That led me to offer Akashic consultations and energy work (click here for more information on the services that I provide), which I have and continue to use to further my personal development.
I am seeking to understand how we all can unlock our full potential.
As I have found greater peace of mind, fulfillment, and joyful love along my journey of self-discovery and exploration, I look forward to providing the space and tools for you to do the same.
Moreover, I am excited to share with you what insights I have learned and also build a loving community to support one another in this adventure called life!
WHY WORK WITH SERA?
I Emphasize Your Self-Empowerment - My aim is to help you recognize your incredible power as a divine being, and guide you in using this power to no longer feel overwhelmed by fear, anxiety, and stress.
I am Customer-Oriented - I focus on how best I can serve you and your needs. I am not stuck to one idea of how things must be and instead am flexible and creative to best serve you.
I Seek Permanent Solutions to Issues - I focus on delving deep to the root cause of issues rather than just treating symptoms. I am passionate about helping you find a permanent solution, via my offerings, rather than having you be dependent long-term.
I Care Deeply - I care deeply about providing you a safe, loving space to develop and grow. I have always had a heart for service and am honored to be part of your life journey.
Education and Experience
- B.S. in Economics from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- J.D. from University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) School of Law
- Licensed to practice law in New York, New Jersey, and North Carolina (practiced in civil rights and corporate litigation)
- Staff attorney and agency-wide Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) counselor for the NYC Commission on Human Rights
- Corporate litigator at Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Co-founder and former COO of Snapdragon Chemistry, a chemistry R&D company
- Volunteer coordinator and data analyst at The Salvation Army, Cambridge Corps
- Completed Akashic records certification from the Akashic Records Wisdom Gallery
- Completed Arcturian Healing Method Levels 1-4 training directly with Dr. Gene Ang (which includes entity clearing work)
- Trained in shamanic journeying and conducting soul retrievals
- Successfully completed the Gateway Voyage Program at The Monroe Institute
- Completed an 8-week MBSR (Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction) course with Amy Gross, former editor-in-chief of "O, The Oprah Magazine"
- Completed The Sandlin Technique (healing system based on Cherokee traditions) training Levels 1 and 2